Perform at the Chicago Fringe
Two Ways To Apply To Perform At The Fringe
The performance lottery is now closed.
After the first 25% of performance have been filled by First-Come, First-Served, the remaining 75% of our participants will be selected by lottery at a public event on March 2. There will be sub-lotteries to account for geographical and diversity concerns. Any artists not selected through the lottery will then go on a waiting list. Many, many artists come off of the waiting list. May the odds be ever in your favor!
The application fee is $25. After payment is made, you will be directed to the application. A copy of the application is available for your reference
First Come, First Serve
The First Come, First Served slots are now full.
The Chicago Fringe Festival reserves 25% of its available slots for First Come, First Serve participants. Participation fees and application fees are due up front to preserve a First Come, First Serve slot: $275 to perform 3 times, $425 to perform 5 times*, and $575 to perform 7 times* (*must be available both weekends). After payment is made, you will be directed to the application, which can be filled out in a more leisurely manner.
What is the Chicago Fringe Festival?
The Chicago Fringe Festival is a not-for-profit organization that produces an annual festival. The festival consists of performances from individuals and groups over the course of 11 days. In 2013, we will accept 50 performance groups.
When is the Chicago Fringe Festival?
The Chicago Fringe Festival will take place from August 29 – September 8, 2013. The technical rehearsals will be scheduled in the days leading up to the festival.
How can I or my group perform in the Chicago Fringe Festival?
Applicants must fill out the application in its entirety and submit it according to our guidelines. The fee to apply to the Chicago Fringe Festival is $25.
The selection process for the Chicago Fringe Festival will be:
- 25% First Come, First Serve
If you choose to apply for a First Come, First Serve slot, your participation fee will be required at the time of applying. The participation fee to perform 3 times during the festival is $250. The participation fee to perform 5 times* during the festival is $400. The participation fee to perform 7 times* during the festival is $550.
- 75% lottery
There will be sub-lotteries for geographical and diversity considerations. The sub-lotteries will ensure that 50% of programming is from outside the Chicagoland area and that at least 25% percent reflects a diversity of ethnicity, ability and/or age.
Our application process will begin on December 8, 2012. The online application will go live online at approximately 10 a.m. (Central) on December 8, 2012 (not before). The deadline to submit an application is February 15, 2013. Note: Only ONE application per company is permitted. Duplicates will result in all applications being disqualified.
There are three considerations for your piece to qualify for the festival:
- Piece must be 80% choreographed or scripted. No solely improvisational shows are permitted.
- Piece must NOT be produced in the Chicagoland area (defined as Cook County, DuPage County, Kane County, Kendall County, Lake County, McHenry County or Will County, IL) from the dates of January 1, 2013 to November 1, 2013.
- Piece must be 45-60 minutes in length and able to be set up and struck within 10 minutes.
Deadline and Timeline
The deadline to apply for the Chicago Fringe Festival is February 15, 2013. The lottery will take place publicly near the end of February, 2013. The shows that are selected will be contacted by email in the following week. Shows that are not selected will be put on the waiting list and also notified by email. Shows that are selected will need to pay a participation fee of $250 - $550 and complete the participation packet by the hard deadline of April 9, 2013. Failure to submit payment and paperwork by that date will result in forfeiture of a participant slot. Budget accordingly!
What benefits do I receive from the festival?
Participants will have three, five, or seven performances over the course of the festival. They will automatically be included in the CFF printed program, receive high visibility on the CFF website and general visibility throughout CFF marketing.
Participants will receive full box office services and a booth operator to run lights and/or sound.
Participants who require lodging will have assistance securing free or discounted arrangements.
Participants will receive rush passes to view other works in the festival.
Participants will receive 100% of the box office revenue for their shows.